Cadillac announced recently that the 2012 Cadillac SRX crossover and the CTS sport sedan and wagon models both recieved 5-star Overall Vehicle Scores from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. With these two Cadillac models earn 5-star overall scores, General Motors now has 9 models that have earned the 5-star rating.
Last year the NHTSA revised their New Car Assessment Program making it slightly more stringent. The overall rating is now based on front and side crash tests and rollover resistance testings. With the new system, the four test conditions are combined mathematically to give an “Overall Vehicle Score.”
“Receiving five stars under the new rating system is an impressive feat – one that clearly demonstrates the strength of the SRX and CTS advanced structure, overall crashworthiness and effectiveness of the models’ state-of-the-art safety technologies,” said Gay Kent, GM executive director of Vehicle Safety.
Cadillac has been adding numerous safety features to its vehicles over that past few years. These new safety features are designed to help drivers avoid crashes and protect occupants should an accident occur. Some of the standard safety features include:
- Driver and front passenger dual-stage front and seat-mounted side pelvic/thorax air bags and head side curtain air bags with rollover protection that cover front and outboard rear seating rows.
- Rollover sensors which can activate the head curtain side air bags if sensors determine an imminent rollover. In a rollover, the airbags stay inflated longer to provide increased occupant protection.
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control helps the driver maintain control by comparing the path being steered by the driver with the actual response and, when necessary, applying the brakes or adjusting the throttle or a combination of both.
- Four-channel disc brakes with ABS for sure stops for full-function traction control to make the most of available traction.
- Front safety belt pretensioners to reduce forward movement and load-limiting retractors to help manage forces during a collision
- OnStar, which features Automatic Crash Response System that uses GPS and cell phone technology to automatically call for help in the event of a crash that deploys the air bags.
- Active front head rests on CTS sport sedan and wagon that help reduce the risk of neck injury in low-speed collisions.
- Side blind zone alert system on CTS models use sensors to detect and warn drivers of vehicles or objects in the side path of the vehicle.
If you would like more information about the CTS or SRX and any of the safety features that are available on all Cadillac models please give Plaza Cadillac a call at 352-787-1323 or check out our website at PlazaCadillac.net.